Posted on 30th June 2016 by Shauna Forde
The government has, announced new plans to tackle the housing crisis in Ireland. Landlords will now to barred from increasing residential rents for two years and will also be required to give longer notice to tenants of rental increases or eviction.
The announcement came as the government ended weeks of speculation and infighting over measures to tackle soaring rents and lack of housing supply. This is part of long-awaited proposals announced by ministers Alan Kelly and Micheal Noonan. Micheal Noonan was quoted after saying “I hope this works”
The increase in the rent review period will mean that anybody whose rent has been increased this year will not face another hike until 2017. This 24-month review period will be in place for four years before it reverts back to 12 months.
“Legislation will require 24 months between all rent reviews, in what is among the most significant overhaul of tenants’ rights in the state,” the government said today.
It’s also been confirmed that the amount of notice a landlord must give a tenant of a rent increase will be extended from 28 days to 90 days.
The Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB) will be given new powers to ensure landlords inform tenants of their rights.
Evidence of a landlord’s justification for any rent increase, such as the market rent for similar dwellings in their area, must be provided to the tenant.
Landlords will now have to give a ‘statutory declaration’ of their intent to sell or use the home for a family member if evicting a resident.
They will face fines for breaching these declarations.
Ahead of today’s announcement, Ibec group Property Industry Ireland, called for government to create a cabinet minister for housing.
“Creating a senior ministerial housing portfolio would create some much-needed leadership in this policy area. It would also help demonstrate a commitment from government to the speedy resolution of the crisis in the Irish housing system,” said PII director Dr Peter Stafford.
He said at least 25,000 new homes need to be built each year to meet demands. At present, just half of that are being built, he said.
We held the last of our summer auctions on Wednesday July 18th in The Clayton Hotel, Liffey Valley, Dublin. This was the final auction in a busy period for the company, as we held 6 auctions across Leinster, Munster and Connacht this summer – the largest volume of multi-lot auctions held by any company in […]Read more
The Munster Property Auction recently sold 12 of the 14 properties offered for sale via auction. The company was due to offer these properties for sale at a public auction event, however due to adverse weather conditions, the company decided to offer all properties for sale via their online auction bidding platform at www.munsterpropertyauction.ie. “The […]Read more
As the year is nearing its end, we would like to wish all our clients & partner auctioneers a Happy Christmas and prosperous New Year as we review our year of auctions for 2017. Our auction team are celebrating an impressive run of 15 successful public auctions across Connacht, Leinster & Munster. The properties offered […]Read more
Success was on the cards again for IAM Sold, as they wrapped up 3 more public auctions across Leinster, Munster and Connacht. So far this year the company have held 12 auctions, each offering an array of family homes, investment properties, commercial buildings, sites and builders projects along with agricultural lands. Company Director Patrick Folan, […]Read more
IAM Sold Ltd is rated 4.64 stars by Reviews.co.uk based on 490 merchant reviews